Morning Glory

My good friends over at Wikipedia describe running as a means of terrestrial locomotion allowing a human or an animal to move rapidly on foot. It is simply defined in athletics terms as a gait in which at regular points during the running cycle both feet are off the ground. Sadly I have to say that I've been struggling with my running. It appears that everyone around me is able to do what used to come so natural to me. I've had an up and down year with my running. It started off with a bang, but somewhere in between I started getting shin splints and it's been all downhill. Almost 30 years without ever getting them and they've come on like no one's business. It's getting to the point that I struggle to even walk. Part of me wants to take the rest of the year off and start over at the beginning of the year and the other part of me knows that I have goals that need to be achieved.

Others have other outlets to help the with stress and creativity, both of mine or relieved during running. I'm able to do so much in that 30 to 45 minutes of pounding it out on the pavement. I can single handily create "world peace" when I'm in a pair of NIKE shoes running for no apparent reason, but to feel free. So with that said you can see where my head is at this moment. I have can't sleep, I can't formulate thoughts correctly and I damn sure can't burn enough calories doing anything else.

I'm sitting in Starbucks this morning mourning. I'm not sure what my decision will be for another hour when I'm supposed to take to the streets. What I do know is that I'm in NYC and the food is abundant and I want to be the recipient of all that I can have. The key all these enjoyments are running! Sometimes a man just needs more options in life.

2 comments:

Pam said...

Thanks for checking back in with me!

I am so sorry about your shin splints. My drug/exercise of choice is yoga. When I hurt my back a few months ago, I was pretty much out of commission for a couple of months. It was awful. I tried to do it too soon, and hurt my back even more.

So, be sure and give yourself time to heal.

Mo said...

I feel you boo but you already knew that didn't you?

After the second knee surgery and first foot surgery running had to take a back seat. I miss it. Every day.