Running Scared

I forgot to tell you guys about a month ago I ran my first half marathon. I'm still not sure why I wanted to run a half-marathon, but it sounded like a very good idea. My initial reaction to myself was “no thanks”, but at my age I'm needed things to challenge me these days. It was definitely a challenge. I decided to get up off the couch the next night and go running. I found a great running tool through Nike that helped me map out a course of attack for my first half marathon.

I didn’t have time to stretch at all. I never really stretch to be honest. I ran right out of the port-a-potty and crossed the starting line about 5 minutes after the first person took off. I was in a bit of a panic, but after the second mile or so, I relaxed. I was, however, still a bit worried about the lack of stretching. By mile 6 I felt like I had a pretty good movement going, and the running music I was rocking out to was really helping a lot. It matched my stride pretty well. By mile 9 I was moving to my own beat. By 11 I was a little more confident because I knew that I was nearing the finish of the race. As I crossed the line I was still in disbelief, but I was excited to finally be done with the race.

I wish that I could tell you that I had a blast doing it and that it was invigorating, but it wasn't. It was very difficult to accomplish. Before running I had thoughts of completing a full marathon, but after completing a half of a full one I have put my hopes of doing that on hold for now. A 2 year hold for the most part! If I'm lucky I will try for one next year after I get a couple more half marathons under my belt. Maybe even shed some of my bulk from my body frame to become a little more agile. For now I am content with my accomplishments and will keep you posted on the progress of my running. High school legs here I come or not.
Category:
Reactions: 

1 comments:

Cin said...

"I ran right out of the porta potty"....LMAO!! Congrats to you for accomplishing your goal though! :) I dont mean running out of the shitter, but doing the marathon!