Speech Impaired

Another holiday season is defunct, and I’ve just about recovered or at least that’s what I’m going to tell myself. It was the first time in years that I’d finished the holiday season and feel stress free. I set out to make things simple and that’s what I did. I’ve become lame when it comes to the holidays and I’m okay with that. I know it’s probably lame to draw a parallel to a carefree Christmas without having any kids or real hang-ups, but that’s just how life is sometimes.

In the middle of all this time, I’ve managed to get a lot of nothing accomplished. I saw a slew of movies that I habitually enjoyed (Avatar is the only one that I can actually say that I loved), introduced myself to a new bedroom setting and, and endured a somewhat sad stroke of midnight on New Year’s Eve. I have no complaints though.

The last of my holiday enjoyment came over the weekend when I attended a party with a couple of close friends of mine. The party is something that they attend annually. It’s filled with a variety of traditions that you would only recognized if you were from the South; mostly having to do with the food being prepared and eaten. In the South we have a traditional spread of things to be eaten on New Year’s Day. There are two traditional dishes (black-eyed peas and collard greens) and one dish open to debate. The black-eyed peas represent good luck for the New Year and the collard greens represent the coming year’s financial gains. The open dish presents itself in the form of care, love, or compassion for others. I swear these silly customs or only things that someone from the South could only think of and actually get people to carry out on a year in year out basis.

The party was nothing short of awesome, but there was and always is a downside to everything. I know you’re asking what could possibly go wrong and I’m telling you it just wouldn’t be life without a little snack of mess. The infamous “Southern accent” reared its ugly head. I think I had you worried there for a minute. For about 10 years now I’ve been trying to disguise mine, but every so often when I’ve had one too many cocktails or around someone who speaks similar to vernacular it comes out. Frankly I don’t like it. I’ve always despised having a southern accent because to the negative stereotype others have of it, but for some reason this weekend I wanted so badly for it to shine and be on display for all to hear. Listening to the guest from Alabama and Georgia struck a chord of mine I guess. Listen folks I’m not rushing back to dragging words out and slurring sentences together again, but from time to time it would be nice to hear from others and maybe myself too.

So in my best accent (normal speech) I say to you… “How ya’ll doing!”

Next post: New semester of school.
Category: , ,
Reactions: 

3 comments:

David said...

It was really nice to have you up here for New Years! I'm sorry the NYE party wasn't all it was cracked up to be. I guess that's what happens when expectations are blown out of proportion. At least you had some fun at Katherine's "Southern Comfort" - just don't start talking too country on me...

none said...

You're among my favorites. I feel terrible that I didn't slip you some tongue at midnight! Next time...

Mo said...

For letting your accent come out you can forgive me for the way I saw twenty. Nanner Nanner Boo Boo.

I didn't get my greens but I sure as ish got my black eyed peas on.