Yoga is 4 Girls

"Yoga, an ancient but perfect science, deals with the evolution of humanity. This evolution includes all aspects of one's being, from bodily health to self-realization. Yoga means union - the union of body with consciousness and consciousness with the soul. Yoga cultivates the ways of maintaining a balanced attitude in day-to-day life and endows skill in the performance of one's actions." ~B.K.S. Iyengar, Astadala Yogamala

For years I've been telling myself that yoga is for girls and I've actually been believing it too. Since moving from Las Vegas I've been trying to get my mind back to it's normal stat, but couldn't seem to get there on my own. While talking to one of the trainers at the gym they suggested that I should try yoga to adjust my need to over workout at the gym. I reluctantly have been trying yoga and I have to say for the 1 hour of the day it works. I feel like it just me and my achy ass bones. We are one!

I've been going for a about 3 weeks strong now. It's a challenge every time for me. Some people in the classes look like they were born for yoga. I didn't think bodies were supposed to move like that at our ages, but theirs do and I'm a little jealous too. I try not to let my competitive side come out in the class, but I'm a man and that's what we do folks. I'll be damn if some 45 year old guy stretches his leg further than I do. I'll be damn if the pregnant lady to the side of me can stand on her head without support better than me. Yoga is a peaceful state of being for most people, not me. I'm just not there yet in my head, but I'm slowly getting there. One hip flex at a time.

At the end of class the yoga instructor asked a few pretty prominent question. She asks, "Are you living your life like you should or want to? Are you living your life like it's one continuous never ending life? If life never ended and you just came back as different forms of yourself, would you be happy with the footprints you're leaving behind?"

Just something to think about...
Category: ,
Reactions: 

9 comments:

kimmyk said...

Man your yoga instructor is all deep and philosophical.

I've never tried yoga...I always think it would be nice to be that flexible again...

I think I'd fall asleep though. You always see people sweating up a storm though...

Wes said...

Careful... I don't want my girlfriend to hear you vouch for yoga after I already told her "guys don't do that!"

I've got nothing against yoga. I just want to spend my time/money elsewhere.

~Sheila~ said...

Hmmm...maybe I need to try yoga. Seeing as I'm a girl, it doesn't sound bad about me wanting it. I bet if it was free...more guys would try it (hint hint...Wes).

I'm happy with my life...I just need more sleep.

Mike said...

I would answer no to all of her questions, but yoga looks to be relaxing. Maybe I need some yoga in my life.

Ace C said...

@ Everyone
I'm trying to stick with it the best I can. Yoga is't for everyone.

Live.Love.Eat said...

Good for you trying yoga. I do believe it can enhance anyone's quality of life. I would like to try it sometime but have only done it at home from a video. Not the same.

Bettina said...

I love this post, and I love the fact you are trying yoga. I think it's perfect to balance the weights and the cardio- I do all of them as well. I love how that way, I get stronger, faster, more flexible AND more relaxed. Good on you for trying something you used to think was not for you- that proves you have an open mind.

And seeing that you like a good challenge, I challenge you to put your hands flat on the ground while standing with your legs completely straight.

Ace C said...

@ Bettina
It's always good to try new things. It would be life if not.

Life, Love And Lola said...

I've only tried Yoga once...But I love Pilates! I think it's great you are doing it! It's good for you and probably a good way to meet chicks too!!