Another Day

Well it's the second day of heading off to the doctors. Today I'm going to the doctors to get another evaluation on my heart murmur. This one may sound crazy, but this is the only time I really enjoy going to see a doctor. People seem to treat you better anytime you use the word "heart" in a hospital environment. It's almost like being a rockstar, but without the fame, money and groupies.

I've had a murmur for a really long time now. It still seems to be a mystery why no one had ever diagnosed me before 8 years ago and it's still a mystery where it came from. Recently I was diagnosed with anemia, which goes hand and hand with heart murmurs. It also makes since for me always feeling fatigued too, but I'm no doctor so don't take my word on it. In this day in age you can find just about anything on the Internet. I guess I'll call it "Ace's diagnostic" for now.

I'll be getting the following done today:
  • Electrocardiogram (ECG), which measures the electrical activity of the heart
  • Chest X-rays to see if the heart is enlarged due to heart or valve disease
  • Echocardiography, which uses sound waves to map the heart structure
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yesterdays trip to the doctors was pretty depressing. I had to head to my local VA Clinic before I could go and see the real doctors. I've always wondered what happens to all the military folk, I got a real good look at the ones in bad shape. It's amazing how people let themselves go after the military. I'm not saying that all people do, but the majority of the ones that crossed my path yesterday were.

It ranged from a guy that couldn't control his shaking to fill out his contact information. He looked worse than a child coloring at a restuarant. He dhocked so much he broke the pen. I wanted to go over and right for the guy, but resisted the urge to save the day. There was another guy who was obviously over weight. He was "Biggest Loser" overweight. He was rambling on about being placed on a heart donor list. I felt bad, but the only thing that was running through my mind was, "If you lost weight life would improve for you instantly.". of course I didn't say that to him. I wrap this one up with really quick because I've be summoned to the doctors office early and need to get out the door.

I didn't Proofread.
Category: ,
Reactions: 

9 comments:

Live.Love.Eat said...

Good luck today!!

Slick said...

Uuugghh...Ace, good luck dude!!

Seeing patients in a hospital always lets you know that someone is worse off....

Depressing, true.

CrystalChick said...

Are we long lost twins?? I have a heart murmur and have been anemic on and off since I was a kid.
Murmurs are not necessarily anything bad. But of course tests are the right way to see.
I used to have to pre-medicate before dental procedures, but they don't recommend that anymore. And the anemia, depending on how bad it is, you might just have to take supplements. If you don't like taking pills you could try a tablespoon of raw honey every day and if you can find it, Black Strap Molasses. Check the label to make sure it's the right one, but it's 70% iron! Or just try cooking your food in an iron skillet. I've heard that can help too.
Good luck.

Brad said...

I sure hope the figure out whats going on. VA hospitals are actually pretty amazing when you consider how much they do get done with so little money.

Mo said...

Thinking of you and mentally holding your hand today. And of course snickering with you...

Moe Wanchuk said...

Good Luck My Man....

I went thru 7 months of chemo a few years back. Just hearing about stuff like this kinda freaks me out.

Cin said...

I hope everything goes well for you. Keep us posted!

Life On The Tail Of A Comet said...

I've been a cardiac nurse for over 25 years. I've worked open heart ICU, open heart OR, cardiac cath lab and with a group of cardiologists.(don't let the murmur thing wig you out- it's very common.) If I can help in ANY way-please do not hesitate to ask my friend

King of New York Hacks said...

First time hear , have seen cancer in my family and seen them kick its ass !!