Ain't no Sunshine When the Truth Comes

"The meaning of the word truth extends from honesty, good faith, and sincerity in general, to agreement with fact or reality in particular. The term has no single definition about which a majority of professional philosophers and scholars agree, and various theories of truth continue to be debated. There are differing claims on such questions as what constitutes truth; how to define and identify truth; the roles that revealed and acquired knowledge play; and whether truth is subjective, relative, objective, or absolute."

The question of the day is, "Is it not the truth if a person just doesn't tell you about certain situations?" Because technically it's not a lie because you never asked and they never told. So does it know become a case of loyalty?

Today I had an Federal Investigator come to the house and interview me for one of my friends that's currently in the military. During the interview you get asked all kinds of questions ranging from character to financial to family. In my mind I thought I knew him pretty well. I was pumping him up. Saying all this great stuff because that's what I do. I'm a pretty slick talker when it comes to communication. She began to asks the same question again, but this time at the end of the questions she would say, "Are you positive?". I was for sure I was being honest. By the end of the interview I had resorted to saying, "At least to my knowledge.". When someone uses that at the end of a sentence 9 times out of 10, they're avoiding the truth.

I mean I thought I knew him as well as you can know a person, but boy wasn't I wrong as f%$#ing wrong. I wanted to tell her that she was lying through her teeth, but some of the stuff that she told me nobody could make up. The more she talked the more I wanted to get up and walk away.

I don't want to divulge too much information about the situation, but what I will say his criminal record is like a CNN breaking news profile.

I guess you don't always know.

Does it constitute as a lie? I'm not quite sure. I do feel it falls somewhere under the rules of truth. I will say I got a notch on my "now-dont-you-feel-stupid" belt.
Category: ,
Reactions: 

5 comments:

Brad said...

Tough one Ace.

I think that as long as you feel you were truthful that's all that matters. One person's 'truth' can be different than anothers.

kimmyk said...

so let me get this straight-she told you stuff about your friend that you didn't know?

is that how an investigation works? sladerish types of comments? wow.

i really dont think anyone fully knows anyone. even family members. ya know?

dont second guess yourself or what you know to be the truth about your friend. but i'm like so naive and i always try to see the best in people...it's a huge fault.

Slick said...

All you can do is tell what you know...

My Mom used to say leading one to believe something different by ommision of facts, is also a lie.

I don't know....I lie all the damn time.

Mo said...

I am torn on the question of the day because there are times when not saying something is best but I feel like it is a lie by omission.

Case of loyalty? Depends on the situation and what said information would have in terms of a lasting effect.

Damn you for making me think about this first thing in the morning.

What happened to easing into the day?

Sheesh, can I go back to sleep now? NO. I have at least a 12 hour work day in front of me.

Punk. This is going to weigh in the recesses of my mind for hours on end today.

Love You. Mean It.

Anonymous said...

That investigator was telling you what to think instead of asking you what you think. Isn't that answering the question and having you agree or disagree? Wow