Rancid @ HOB Las Vegas, Nevada


It's always easy to dismiss a band that you have never heard of, but it takes a real man to revel in the fact that he is willing to go out on a limb and discover a piece of his rock roots. Rock roots, two words that I will use loosely when describing Rancid.

I'm not really sure how to classify them. Rock is an area that I'm familiar with, but not enough to start classifying groups. I guess I would treat them as a punk band.

The Frisco quartet reveled in 1978, I think. (Quick side note. It's 2008. For those of you who can't count that's 30 years ago.) I don't think anyone has informed them that we are half way through 2008. Hell, front man Tim Armstrong even has that safety-pin leather jacket, like wearing it will somehow keep him locked in the era when the were, if at all relevant. One of the guitarist looked like he jumped right out 1987. He came complete with a "Flash Dance" sweater and some "Hammer pants", with spray painted words. I can't help but think that he has numerous pairs of those pants.

After 30 years in the business Rancid didn’t break any new ground or make me a fan. Rancid smashed or should I say drilled through almost every song. I thought that rock bands were supposed to be interactive. It almost seemed like they had somewhere they needed to be. Between the constant guitar problems and fans throwing random things on stage, I never really got into the concert.

I spent the entire hour and a half texting and looking at my watched. If only time rushed as fast as they did on stage. And I could be wrong, but I swear the lead singer ran off stage for what might have been 30 seconds to piss. I could be wrong, but I am sure I'm not.

At the end of the concert the group thanked the opening acts and fans. They then announced that they had an upcoming CD due out later this year, not sure what the name of it is though. I'm sure that it will continue on the same tired path as all their previous work.

I only have a few choice words for the guys of Rancid, "Try Rap, it seems to be working for all the other idiots!".

Seacrest out!
Category: ,
Reactions: 

1 comments:

Mo said...

Like I said, you can mark this off of your life list of things to do.

And possibly never do again!