E.T. Phone Home

Lately I've been having a problem getting people to either answer or return my calls. I devised a few helpful hints to make things move smoothly from now on.

Helpful Hints:

1) Answer all incoming phone calls before the third ring.

2) When you answer the phone, be warm and enthusiastic. Your voice at the end of the telephone line is sometimes the only impression of you a caller will get.

3) When answering the phone, welcome callers courteously and identify yourself. Say, for instance, "Good morning, This Monica Guzman. How may I help you?"

4) Enunciate clearly, keep your voice volume moderate, and speak slowly and clearly when answering the phone, so your caller can understand you easily.

5) Control your language when answering the phone. Don't use slang or jargon. Instead of saying, "OK", or "No problem", for instance, say "Certainly", "Very well", or "All right". If you're a person who uses fillers when you speak, such as "uh huh", "um", or phrases such as "like" or "you know", train yourself carefully not to use these when you speak on the phone.

6) Train your voice and vocabulary to be positive when phone answering, even on a "down" day. For example, rather than saying, "I don't know", say, "Let me find out about that for you."

7) Take telephone messages completely and accurately.

8) Answer all your calls within one business day. I can't emphasize this one enough.

9) Don't use a speaker phone unless absolutely necessary. Speaker phones give the caller the impression that you're not fully concentrating on his call, and make him think that his call isn't private. The only time to use a speaker phone is when you need more than one person to be in on the conversation at your end.


10) If you use an answering machine to answer calls when you can't, make sure that you have a professional message recorded, that does the same thing as tip # 3, and gives callers any other pertinent information before it records their messages. Update your answering machine message as needed.

In other words, just answer the damn phone!

Category: ,
Reactions: 

2 comments:

....You Sick Bastard said...

I'm glad they have caller ID. I can go from "Woo Hoo! I'm here chick from Hooters I gave my number to" all the way to, "Oh....it's you. Oh damn, I met to pick it up but my voicemail picked it up first."

Mo said...

Hater.