The Days Get Shorter....

The big move is getting closer and closer. By now everyone knows that I'm gearing up to move to Las Vegas at the end of April. I'm really starting to get agoged about the whole situation. Maybe not so much overwhelmed, but the realization is starting to set and set hard. I've had a hard time telling a few people about the move, which brings me to what I'm talking about today.

In my spare time I do a lot of volunteer work. I'm in a program that is like the Big Brother program, but it's for youths that have one or more parents incarcerated.

I'm trying to figure out a way to tell a ten year old that the only person consistent in his life is moving away. Since I don't have any kids and don't have the slightest clue on child development; I have prolonged telling him what my future plans are. I need to decide what I"m going to tell him, when this is going to take place, and who is going to do it. I think that it should come from me, but i also think that the his mom should be of some assistance. In the past he has a lot of problems coping with people exiting, i.e. "The Grandma". Careless, hasty words or words, will only make the situation worse.

A little part of me wants to just leave and not say anything and another part of me wants to deliver this news fifteen minutes before I get into the car to start driving to Las Vegas.

This is a terrible time for me to leave too. I've talked to the coordinator the program and she's been have trouble finding mentors to begin with. I guess I'm just trying to find the "right words" to say. With my time frame dwindling I'm going to have to step up and just deliver the news.

To all you out there with a little too much free time on your hand, keep in
mind, that kids are suffering for someone to help guide them in the right path.
Everyone needs a little extra TLC.
Category:
Reactions: 

5 comments:

Slick said...

Damn Ace, that IS a sticky situation, but I'm of the opinion that the news should come from you.

Not exactly sure of the hows and whens but you'll figure it out, somehow.

Good luck, bud

elay said...

this is sad. its always hard explaining this kind of things to children..especially those that made you a part of their lives..they probably won't understand it..they'll just feel that some part of them is being ripped apart...

elay said...

good luck on the move there, ace.!

....You Sick Bastard said...

Become pen pals and visit him whenever you're in town.

Ace C said...

ysb...see you are not as sick as I thought.