Running On Time!

I am very good at my job, and the my managers always compliment me on my work. That is, when I actually make it to the office on time. I am chronically late. I don't mean just 2 or 3 minutes -- I mean 15 to 30 minutes. How can I make myself be on time for work?

4 out of 10 times I am to blame, but the other 6 belongs to the one and only "Duck". "Duck" is an elusive idiot who has no sense of time or compassion for the next person's quality of life. So I figure he is not going to change, so I have to figure something to redefine the way I transition from day-to-day task.

WHAT THE EXPERT SAYS: First, a basic question: Are you chronically tardy for dinner, movies and sports events? Did you ever miss a plane while heading out for vacation? If the answer is no, then there are a couple of possibilities: You hate your job, or you are lazy.
If it's your job, then polish up your resume, do some career soul-searching and figure out what it is you want to do with your life. Then get a job doing what you love, and you'll have a better chance of showing up on time.

If it's laziness, you can improve your behavior. You will have to determine what type of life you want to lead and then use self-discipline to create that life. However, society often labels someone as lazy when the person is actually depressed. If you suspect that you are depressed, rather than merely lazy, seek out a physician who can help you. If you are chronically late for both the good and bad in life, then you have some serious time issues here.

So here are somethings that I have devised to help me out during the day.

-I am going to make a list of my morning routine.
-This list is going to be be very specific and include everything from making coffee to showering, blow drying my hair (I needed to put this in here for a little humor) and feeding the dog.
-Group similar tasks together.
-Set a timer.
-Plan everything out the night before. I will be choosing and laying out my clothes.
-Factor disaster time into the morning.
I am going to get a routine down, time it and stick with it. I think that it should take me a week to organize the routine and see Just see what works for you.

I don't care if I running late and the phone rings or the dog poops on the floor, I will keep walking out the door. Phone calls can be returned; floors can be cleaned. But once my time has come and gone I can't retrieve it back.
Category:
Reactions: 

0 comments: